This is one of the most popular soda makers on the market due to its convenience and affordability. If you are someone who is shopping for their very first soda machine, or just someone who values simplicity, this may be the product for you. The machine is very straightforward and can be assembled easily. This is one of the cheapest soda makers currently on the market.
• Bottle Lock Mechanism: Twist-on
• Size: 5.6″W x 16.9″H x 8.6″D
• Refill Method: SodaStream Carbonators (60L or 130L)
• Construction: Plastic
• Warranty: 2 year warranty
When buying the SodaStream Fountain Jet Starter Kit, you get the machine, a 60L carbonator, and one carbonating bottle. The bottle is made from BPA-free plastic and holds 1-liter. You do not need batteries or electricity to use this machine. The carbonating bottle is reusable and can keep drinks fizzy for up to three years with the hermetically sealed caps.
How To Use
The SodaStream Jet is easy to use thanks to its simplicity. You do however have to bear with the twist-on mechanism that is more cumbersome than the snap-lock one.
- Fill the carbonating bottle (cold water achieves the best carbonation).
- Push back on the head of the Jet and attach the carbonating bottle to the soda maker by twisting it on.
- Press the carbonation button 3 short times (3 is the standard amount but you can do it more or less depending on your preferences).
- Push back on the head again and remove the bottle by untwisting it.
When it comes time to buy a refill for your SodaStream, know that they come in both 60L and 130L sizes. In theory, the sizes will give you that many liters of use. Many people report that they actually only get 50L or 120L, however. You can take your empty bottle to stores such as Target, Costco, and Bed, Bath & Beyond to get your refill. A 60L refill will cost you about $14.99 and a 130L refill will cost you about $29.99.
How often you need to change out your carbonator will obviously depend on how often you use it. According to SodaStream, a family of 4 soda drinkers may need to replace theirs every 6-8 weeks. Every exchange costs $14.99 (60L) or $29.99 (130L) but there are cheaper, DIY options.
- This kit includes: (1) Jet Sparkling Water Maker, (1) Mini CO2 Carbonator (makes up to 9L of sparkling water), (1) 1 Liter BPA-Free Reusable Jet Carbonating Bottle, (1) 60 Liter mail-in rebate
- Light weight sleek design with Twist-lock technology and doesn't require electricity or batteries
- CO2 Carbonator Compatibility: 60L, which can be exchanged at several of your favorite retailers
The SodaStream Jet differentiates itself from the other soda makers on the market mostly by its simplicity and ease of assembly. It is a very straightforward machine that gets the job done without too much fuss. It also one of the cheapest appliances available.
If you are someone who drinks a lot of soda or other carbonated drinks, you may worry about your impact on the environment, even if you recycle. Making your own drinks in a reusable bottle can help you reduce your carbon footprint.
The main reason people buy this soda maker over the others is its cost. This machine gets the job done but lacks the bells and whistles that tend to drive up the price tag.
Another advantage of this soda maker is that all of the SodaStream products are kosher certified. In fact, their seltzer is considered kosher for Passover.
What Others are Saying
Overall, this product receives positive reviews. The most common complaint about it involves the bottom breaking due to a cheap plastic being used in its construction. Some find the button more difficult to use than one of the other models from SodaStream, the Genesis. The only other minor complaint that comes up is the appearance of this machine, which is less sleek than some of its competitors. That being said, people love the wide variety of flavors and the simplicity of operating the SodaStream Fountain Jet.