The Sodastream Penguin soda charger is an easy and economical way to create carbonated sparkling water for homemade sodas, drinks, and cocktails. The Penguin unit is sleek, simple to use, and requires no batteries or electricity. These features make it the perfect machine for not only home use, but also outdoor barbeques, parties or while traveling. Enjoy saving money and creating fresh beverages with this machine. You can choose the amount of carbonation for each bottle, then add your fruit juices or garnishes, or use the ready-made drink flavors offered by SodaStream.
The unit itself has a cool design that looks great on the countertop, but at 18 inches high, it is small enough to tuck away into a cabinet easily. The Penguin comes with two dishwasher-safe glass carafes, reducing the use of plastic, which is good for the environment. The stoppers are specially designed to retain the fizz. Extra carafes, stoppers, and cartridges can be purchased allowing you can keep several varieties of drinks on hand at all times. The food-grade CO2 carbonator cartridge is easy to install and change out. You must use the Alco2Jet CO2 replacements for the unit to run correctly and safely. Each CO2 cartridge will carbonate up to 60 carafes of water.
- Bottle Lock Mechanism: Inserting the glass carafe into the bottom part
- Size: 5.1″W x 17.5″H, 9.6″D
- Refill Method: SodaStream Carbonators (60L)
- Construction: Metal and plastic
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime Warranty
Comes with the soda maker, a 60L carbonator and 2 glass carafes (20 oz.)
How To Use
In just moments you can carbonate bottled or tap water. These easy procedures make using the Sodastream Penguin a breeze:
- First-time use requires opening the back of the unit and installing the CO2 cartridge and closing the door
- Turn the stainless steel flask on the bottom to the unlock position
- The upper horn will slide upward, and flask will tilt outward
- Fill your carafe to the level indicated on the bottle and slide the carafe into the unit
- Push the flask upright and slide the horn back down onto the flask
- Return the flask to the locked position
- Press the “beak” lever down between one and four times to create the amount of carbonation desired-releasing beak after each pump
- Open unit to remove carafe and enjoy your sparkling water
The SodaStream Penguin uses 60L SodaStream carbonators that, as their name implies, allow for carbonation of roughly 60L of water (most users do however report around the 50L range). Empty carbonators can be exchanged for full ones at various retailers such as select Bed Bath & Beyond, Costco, Target, etc. To find a retailer close to you.. Every exchange costs $14.99 but there are cheaper, DIY options.
The SodaStream Penguin differentiates itself through its incredibly unique appearance, its design and the fact that it uses dishwasher safe glass carafes instead of plastic carbonating bottles. It is also a good quality machine even though it is quite expensive.
It is amazing how it takes just moments to create sparkling water. The amount of time and money saved by so easily creating carbonated beverages anywhere makes the Sodastream Penguin well worth the cost. Not having even to use electricity is an added bonus. It is fun to use, is made with quality components, and will last for years. The glass carafes make the drinks taste clean and delicious. The SodaStream Penguin would make a fantastic gift for those who love to entertain.
What Others are Saying
Review of the SodaStream Penguin are positive and users loved the quality, design and the ability to wash the glass carafes in the dishwasher. They found that the appearance was a good source of entertainment. Consumers did however mention that the small size of the glass carafes was an issue and that it was harder to use than the SodaStream crystal.