The SodaStream Source is an elegant yet simple low to mid-level soda maker that is easy to use and efficient. The Soda Maker Club recommends it to those who wants a minimalist soda machine that will look great and get the job done.
• Bottle Lock Mechanism: Snap-lock
• Size: 4.8″L x 16.6″H x 9.1″D
• Refill Method: 60L SodaStream Carbonator
• Construction: Base model out of plastic as well as the possibility of a metal or wood model
• Warranty: Limited Lifetime Warranty
Comes with the soda maker, a 60L carbonator and a 1L BPA-free plastic bottle.
How To Use
The SodaStream Source is very easy to use and efficient since it benefits from a snap-lock mechanism.
- Fill the bottle with water.
- Attach the bottle to the soda maker using the snap lock mechanism.
- Once attached, press down on the block to carbonate the drink. Use the LED Fizz indicator as guidance for the amount of presses.
- Remove the bottle and poor.
The SodaStream Source uses 60L SodaStream carbonators that, as their name implies, allow for carbonation of roughly 60L of water (most users do however report around the 50L range). Empty carbonators can be exchanged for full ones at various retailers such as select Bed Bath & Beyond, Costco, Target, etc. To find a retailer close to you.. Every exchange costs $14.99 but there are cheaper, DIY options.
The SodaStream Source differentiates itself through its elegant design (by Yves Béhar), especially in this price range and its ease of use thanks to its snap-lock mechanism. It is also the only soda machine that has a wooden variant. It also benefits from an LED fizz indicator yet retains a minimalist appeal.
What Others are Saying
Many users reported issues with the actual SodaStream Source. First of all, even though it is advertised as not having batteries, it uses one to power the LED lights and this battery is not user replaceable. One consumer’s battery even corroded and leaked into his water. Also, the Source emits a loud squealing noise when used that can become annoying after some time. The lights for some people stopped working after a couple of months and even though they are not absolutely necessary, it removes one of the features of the machine. In addition, many buyers’ starter kits were missing certain parts.
On the bright side, users were very happy about the ease of the snap-lock mechanism and the design of the machine. They find that it looks great and is efficient, when it works of course.